Food: Healthy Double Chocolate Muffin Recipe.
Muffins. We all love them, but we all know how calorific they can be. The Version has a recipe that takes the hips out of (chocolate) chips and you’re going to love us for it. These gorgeous cakes don’t taste in the least bit healthy, but at less than 180 calories each, welcome to your new favourite treat.
- 150 g wholegrain rye flour ( we used Doves Farm)
- 125 g white spelt flour ( we used Doves Farm)
- 40 g raw cacao / unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp coarse sea salt
- 100 g (3. oz) 70% minimum cacao dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 250 ml full-fat coconut or almond milk
- 100 ml maple syrup
- 150 ml cold-pressed olive oil
- 1 mashed banana
- Preheat the oven to 200°C /fan 180C/Gas 6. Line a muffin tin with paper cases.
- Sift together the dry ingredients except the salt and chocolate in a large mixing bowl, then add in the sea salt. Add half the chocolate and set the rest aside.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl for one minute. Then add the coconut or almond milk, maple syrup and olive oil while whisking at the same time. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and use a spatula to carefully fold everything until fully combined.
- Divide the batter among the muffin cases and top with the remaining dark chocolate. Bake for about 18 minutes until well risen and spongey. The dark chocolate on the top will melt into the cake adding a nice glaze.
The muffins will keep for a week in an airtight container and they freeze perfectly too. You won’t feel like you’re eating a healthy cake as these little beauts are the real deal!